Backcountry Access information
Skeetawk’s Backcountry Access remains OPEN to the public. The backcountry area is not patrolled, and there is no avalanche mitigation being performed. Please respect the backcountry area, and treat it as you would any other backcountry area.
When Skeetawk’s gate is closed, backcountry users may still recreate in the Skeetawk Backcountry area. However, parking options are limited. Do not park in the turnout near the gate, or along the road.
When Skeetawk’s gate is open, backcountry users are welcome to park in Skeetawk’s parking lot. There is no parking fee, but there is a donation box near the backcountry gate. Please feel free to leave a donation. The parking lot hours are listed below:
- Monday 2:00pm – 8:00pm
- Thursday 2:00pm – 8:00pm
- Friday 2:00pm – 8:00pm
- Saturday 10:00am – 5:00pm
- Sunday 10:00am – 5:00pm
Reminders on safe backcountry travel techniques:
- Please make conservative decisions in the backcountry
- Backcountry users may access gates located at the trailhead just uphill of Dave’s SnoCat Haus
- Please use the designated UP track and obey all ski area signage and marked boundaries
- Solo travel is highly discouraged. A designated trip leader with adequate training is highly encouraged.
Avalanche Safety Kits are available for rent for $35/day at the Skeetawk Rental Shop. They include a backpack with collapsible shovel, snow probe, and beacon.